Monday, July 10, 2006

Friendship is a Rare Commodity

Why do we fall apart? Why do our friendships fade? It makes me sad to think about the friendships that I have lost. How do we go from one day sharing with someone are thoughts, concerns, joys and fears to not being able to even say hello?
As we prepare for the arrival of our first child I started to think about the people I will call when the bundle of joy arrives. Of course I will call family like my mom, dad, sisters, and extended, but what about my friends. As I thought about that I realized that through the hustle and bustle of life I have neglected relationships that I have truly valued and now I feel guilty to even call about the arrival of my son. If I had only listen to the message of the letter to the Hebrews “25Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” (Hebrews 10:25) However I have let it become a habit of my life to ignore one of the things I am called to hold dear, Fellowship.
I write this thinking about one friend or I should say an old friend. I am sad to think about the close bonds we once shared. The laughter, the dreams and even the tears we have had together. I feel guilty about the loss. I desire to pick up the phone and call but I am afraid it is too little too late. Is it my job that pulled me away? Or maybe my family? Or is it something else? Most likely it is just me. I cannot even make the friendships I have in town valuable. I know the priorities in my life should be God-Family-Friends-Work but I too often put Work-Family-God-Friends. The sad part about that is that I am a Youth minister my work is for the kingdom of God yet I still neglect my personal relationship with God and horribly neglect my relationships with my friends. To top it all off I know I am not the husband I need to be to my wife. I just pray I will be a better father then I am a follower, husband, friend, and minister.
Lord, today I pray for restored relationships and for the building of stronger ones. I ask you to make me a father in the image of the Holy Father. I ask to be more like you and less like me. Lord, hear my prayer. Amen!

No comments: